Today I’m going to bring you a great recipe that is Whole30, Primal, and Paleo compliant. Made with ready for it? Canned Tuna.
Now we all know that canned tuna usually gets a bad rap but believe me there are some brands out there that are worth the try. Such a brand is Safe Catch Elite Canned Tuna.
This tuna is really safe to eat and as an added bonus it also taste great. Some of it’s attributes are:
- Lowest mercury of any brand. Every single fish is tested and it’s the only brand that meets consumer reports ‘Low Mercury’ criteria for pregnant women and kids.
- 10 times stricter mercury limit than that required by the FDA.
- It’s the only canned tuna that is slow cooked which results in higher-levels of Omega 3’s.
- Sustainably caught.
- No fillers and additives and packed in BPA free cans.
OK lets get to the good part, cooking our Tuna Cakes.
Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Cook Time: About 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Tips: When making the Tuna Cakes, make sure the tuna is well drained and patty the burgers in to 8 mini burgers. The smaller they are the easier they are to flip. I recommend cooking the burgers in grass-fed organic ghee because I love the flavor and it makes the outsides of the burgers nice in crispy. Coconut oil or avocado oil are great options, too!
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Serving size: 2 small burgers Calories: 155 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 3 g Sugar: 1 g Sodium: 320 mg Fiber: 1 g Protein: 22 g
Author: The Real Food Dietitians
Recipe type: Burger | Whole30
Serves: 4 servings (8 small burgers)
2 (5 oz.) cans Safe Catch Tuna, well drained
2 whole eggs (I recommend Organic Eggs)
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup finely diced onion
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. dried dill weed
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
Ghee, avocado oil, or coconut oil for frying.
Roasted Red Pepper Mayo
½ cup mayo
¼ cup roasted red pepper (patted dry)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Combine and mix together the Tuna Cakes ingredients (except ghee/oil) in a bowl.
- Form into 8 small patties.
- In a large fry pan on medium high heat, add ghee – enough to cover the base of the pan.
- Once ghee is hot, add the patties to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- For the Roasted Red Pepper Mayo, combine the ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve Roasted Red Pepper Mayo on top of tuna cakes.
Hopefully you would be able to add this amazing recipe to your weekend menu. Here is to a Healthier and Happier Lifestyle eating clean and wholesome food that tastes great.